Thursday, April 19, 2007

Two Decades of Faithfulness to God’s Love on Campus!

Like Terence Kesavan, Sister Theresa Ryan, Chaplain to International Students and our spiritual director, shares with us her reflections as Cosdu reaches its landmark 20th anniversary on the campus of the University of Melbourne.

Sister Theresa Journeying with Us

Sister Theresa journeying with us at the recent Easter Camp

Sr Theresa & Sue Lyn 1Alison & Sr Theresa

Sister Theresa sharing in our achievement and joy of graduating

To the Catholic Overseas Students Down Under, Congratulations and Celebrations!

When Ramesh our lanky, likeable, liturgy coordinator approached me to write a blurb on this blog under conditions of strict secrecy, I wondered what he was up to. It’s so easy to miss out on celebrations in the seriousness of studying in Uni, and I’m glad he told me what the COSDU committee of 2007 was up to.

So it is with much pleasure that I write about a group of people who have brought much joy to one another, and I daresay to Melbourne University over the past twenty years. This special group of people has become part of my life since the winter of 2002, just three months after my arrival in Melbourne. Sr. Carol Hogan my predecessor, who birthed COSDU, gave me a short history of its growth from the tiny mustard seed to the spreading tree that it is now. When I took over that July, COSDU was a vibrant group of young people on fire with Christ, so I definitely received a very warm welcome.

Knowing history is one thing but living life with COSDU is something else. You have to experience something that is not tangible and yet so palpable. Each person in COSDU is so unique I could write volumes, because COSDU cannot be described without its members. I have been privileged to have worked with five committees and their respective communities, sharing their joys and disappointments as they arranged monthly celebrations of the Eucharist, Easter camps, AGMs, discussion, study and social justice sessions, sports activities, birthday and housewarming celebrations, (COSDUANs, many of whom come from countries where hospitality is an integral part of daily life, really do know how to celebrate especially around a table with any food) and the list goes on.

COSDU is constantly becoming, growing, changing, living and bearing fruit that will last. Over the past five years I have tasted the fruit and seen the face of God in each person. So all past and present COSDUANs, you have been and are Christ’s light on campus, go forth and be GOOD NEWS for all.

Sr. Theresa Ryan


Stay tuned and look out for the sharing of Sister Carol Hogan herself, founder of Cosdu.

No comments:

Popular Posts

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *