Sunday, April 29, 2007

The Portfolio of the Liturgy Coordinator in the Committee

Almost a year ago, I was seated at West Hall, St.Mary's College eating Domino's Pizza. It was COSDU's AGM. I went in there with the hope that I will lead COSDU for 2006/2007 with my friends working hard with me for the greater glory…

For God knows my ability better than myself… I left West Hall that evening with a different portfolio. A portfolio that I am very proud of, God has entrusted me with. Some people might call it easy stuff with no stress involved, and some people might look at it as a service or a medium to allow God to work His miracles. I was elected as the Liturgy Coordinator for COSDU 2006/2007.

Why do I say 'service or medium to allow God to work His miracles'? My duty is to prepare the church- the physical church(building) and also to prepare the other church which is YOU!. If you are still confused as to what is the miracle, it is the Liturgy of the Eucharist where we as Catholics believe that the bread is made flesh-Jesus's flesh.

What do I mean by preparing the physical church?

It is setting the altar with the all necessary items- Sacramentary, Lectionary, Chalice, Purifier, Water(to wash fingers), Finger towel, Cruets(Water and Wine), Bread for Holy Communion( Until today, I cant estimate the amount of people attending Mass, I always put more!) , candles. I am very sure I left some stuff out but I guess you get the gist of it. J

Woops.. I knew I forgot something.. get a gift for the celebrant(COSDU will reimburse)

What do I mean by preparing you?

Getting a priest (most of time easy, unless I leave it till the last minute), getting the readings for the Liturgy of the Word, getting in touch with Music Coordinator (Denning) to discuss the main essence of the readings so that he can choose the appropriate hymns/songs, getting in touch with the Spiritual Advisor (Sr.Theresa) to discuss/prepare the Prayer of the Faithful and priest contacts if necessary, getting readers(harder than getting a priest! hehehehe), giving a little 5 minute formation for the readers if necessary and lastly getting a Communion Minister to assist the celebrant with the distribution of Holy Communion.

I also do other stuff that is not officially included under my portfolio but I feel will be helpful in our spiritual growth, such as compiling all the Mass times for the Holy Week and Days of Obligation, preparing mass booklets for mass( hoping you guys will bring it back and meditate over the readings) and also send out occasional emails regarding meaning of special events the Catholic Church celebrates.

My term is coming to an end, and it is time for me to hand over the duty that God has entrusted me to another person. I am happy that another person will be able to go through the same 'fun' I went through. The question now is-

Who makes the best Liturgy Coordinator?

Firstly, this position is open to BOTH male and female. This person SHOULD have a sound knowledge of the Liturgy and NO experience is required( you don’t have to be an ex altar server) and most importantly this person must be willing to learn and enjoy the service he/she gives to God.

Why should you consider this position?

  1. You will understand the mass better
  2. This will be a chance for you to mingle other older people(not just your parents, relatives, and tutors)
  3. You have no choice but concentrate during mass! Hehehe
  4. You will be in the COSDU Committee 2007/2008 where you will be able to plan and decide the future of COSDU.
  5. Hello???….. you are serving God in a special way!

Lastly, my promise, I will be there to guide the newly elected through the preparation of the Exam Mass and that would be the last time I would be in charge. After that mass, the newly elected will be fully in charge and I will not interfere with anything regarding this portfolio UNLESS the newly elected ask me for my help. This is to avoid me from influencing the new Liturgy Coordinator thus allowing COSDU to further develop.

I hope I have served you well, as Liturgy Coordinator, as an elected member of COSDU Committee 2006/2007 and also as COSDU Easter Camp 2007 Committee Member. I am sorry if I have offended you or did not fulfil your expectations of me during my term of office. I did everything to the best of my ability. To COSDU Committee 2006/2007 thank you very much for the great year we had working together for the better of COSDU and to my friends from the Easter Camp 2007 committee, A Job Well Done guys! To everyone else, thank you for coming to church because YOU MAKE THE CHURCH and if you don’t come they wont be Mass!

COSDU Committee 2007/2008, my best wishes and I pray that COSDU will continue to grow and reach out to all the International students so that they will all call COSDU, A home away from home!

I guess my last email in office…

Ramesh

Liturgy Coordinator

COSDU 2006/2007

Just thought of sharing this story…

Last year while looking for a job, I had put in my CV that I accidently put in my CV that I am a Liturgy Minister and not Liturgy Coordinator. When I went for the interview, the director of the fairly large archi practice asked me if I was a pastor and I looked at him blankly. He then showed me my CV and asked me what do I mean by Liturgy Minister…. May be that is why I did not get the job and I am back in Uni. Hehehehe

No comments:

Popular Posts

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *