Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Vice President: Christabelle Cheah



HELLO THERE! 

My name is Belle and I’m currently Vice President and I’m hoping that perhaps YOU will be the next one since you’re reading this, which maybe then indicates that something about COSDU, or even the title of this post attracts you and that you’re interested? Muahahaha! Ok I’m just kidding. Wherever you are in life and however you feel about the upcoming AGM, let me just share a little something with you about what being Vice President is like. I tend to go on a bit of a tangent sometimes so please bear with me J

Being Vice, as outlined by the constitution (huhu let’s get the super formal things outta the way) in Clause 7aii, states that the role of a Vice President, who shall be a Melbourne University student for his/her full term is to

-         Support the President and the Committee
-         Responsible for fund raising and sponsorship together with Publicity Coordinator and Social Activities Coordinator
-         Resource Management
-         Attend necessary training conducted by UMSU


Before you start freaking out on how possibly daunting all that may sound and before thoughts like “Can I do this? I’m not holy enough. I haven’t been in COSDU long enough. I don’t know what to do or how to lead people. I am not capable” flood your mind, let me ask you one question.

Have you been touched by COSDU?


If your answer to that is a yes, you can do great great things because the love and joy that resonates off COSDU comes only from Christ and being Vice allows you the opportunity to be an instrument of this exact love and joy that you have experienced yourself! As Vice, you don’t have to be amazing at everything, neither do you have to be on the top of your game 24 hours, 7 days a week but it definitely calls for a willing heart to be ripped open, torn down, and built back up again. Being Vice, we call ourselves to be open to receiving Christ in ways we might not have ever felt before.

Personally, Vice was hard for me because I am a perfectionist and sometimes (actually most of the time) I really want things my way and choose not to want to see the bigger picture. However, being Vice calls you to work very closely not just with your President but also with your committee and ultimately, it is calling you to listen to the voice of God.
What do you think God is calling you to do? I wouldn’t say ‘stepping up’ to Vice, but maybe I will say ‘stepping down’ because stepping down to Vice invites us to humble ourselves, listen to His call and answer it. Yes, the road will not always be smooth sailing but pray about it, envision what you want COSDU to be and have good time management, which is something I learnt over my term and is also very important.

If you have a little something you want to give back, and you have a little nudge or feeling to want to serve and give back to COSDU, this may be it! You’ll have plenty of opportunities through planning orientations, night market, festival of nations, being organized and being disciplined to learn the many things that God has yet to show you. And before I forget, being in the committee in itself is SUCH a rewarding experience because the friendships and relationships formed amidst your term here with both comm and members might just be the ones you’ll be keeping for life. So please, if you have the faintest of callings, I urge you to pray about it and know that if you’ve any ANY questions whatsoever, I am always here for you J

With love,

Belle

No comments:

Popular Posts

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *