Thursday, April 26, 2007

Sister Carol Hogan's 20th Anniversary Reflection

Sister Carol Hogan, predecessor of Sister Theresa Ryan and founder of COSDU shares her journey with us.

Sr Carol Hogan with Flowers

<span class=
Reflection on COSDU: Some Twenty Years on.

Firstly, loving congratulations to all the international students, whose generous commitment to COSDU for the past twenty years have enabled it to survive and flourish.

I liked to think of COSDU as the praying heart of the Melbourne University international students’ community, and especially of the Catholic international students. I looked forward to Friday nights as a time of the week, when I could be with a group of faithful, committed students, who gathered monthly for the celebration of the Eucharist and on the other Fridays to pray in a variety of ways for themselves, other students and the needs of the worlds. The students’ hunger for adult faith development was combined with their love of prayer, and clearly obvious as they researched religious topics themselves and invited expert guest speakers to address them.

COSDU members have always been characterised by their consistent and loving care and support of each other and to the most vulnerable members of the group, especially in times of crisis. This has been demonstrated in a thousand small ways, such as sharing resources and skills, listening to students’ stories, helping each other with studies and celebrating festivals. These features became so important to the first members, that they began to view COSDU as their “away-from-home” family. I counted myself as blest to have such a hospitable community to which I could introduce the students were preparing for adult baptism. I knew that they would be warmly welcomed.

I was always fascinated that COSDU students possessed amazing organisational skills, which included minute attention to detail, and creativity. Some of these skills were used in the preparation of artistic, prayerful and contemporary liturgies, which were always accompanied by excellent musicians and singers. These organisational skills were also used in planning the complex program Social Justice of visitations to the elderly and needy.

I think that enormous generosity has been a defining characteristic and the driving force of COSDU. International students, whose families are paying very high fees for their courses, have always found the time and energy to devote to the many functions of COSDU.

At the time of my retirement I reflected on the fact that my time with COSDU was like being a mother. I started with a good deal of experience with Australian university students but very little cultural experience. I started in a very small way and with much to learn. I loved and nurtured dozens of students, watched them grow into adulthood, pursue their careers, marry and give birth to their own children. So, I have become a “virtual faith” grandmother to children in South East Asia. My own faith has been enormously enriched by international students’ faith and generosity. It has been a privilege to share their faith journey. My loving thanks to every person, who has contributed to COSDU’s life over the past twenty years.

May our loving Sophia God continue to inspire and empower you all the days of your life. Thank you.

Sister Carol Hogan.

No comments:

Popular Posts

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *