Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Flo - Publicity


As a publicity coordinator, you have a lot of freedom in your role. How you want to publicise COSDU is largely up to you… so long as you do end up publicising COSDU, not another Catholic society. So if you’re looking for a role that’s fun and will give you lots of freedom to do your own thing then publicity is right for you.

There are no pre-requisites to be a publicity coordinator. You don't have to be techy or outgoing and you don't even have to be holy. The latter was my biggest concern about taking up the post, but trust me, you don't need to be holy to be on the comm.



My role as publicity coordinator is simple, and includes
  • Sending out weekly emails and creating facebook events
  • Updating the blog from time to time
  • Promoting events in a legal fashion
  • Taking charge in O – week and welcoming new members


You would think that being publicity I'd be awesome at promoting my role and getting people to join the committee. But I'm going to attempt to be objective - because from an engineering point of view you need to weigh up all the alternatives, good and bad. So here are the reasons – for and against joining the COSDU committee.

Reasons not to join
  • Busy with studies, work, life, etc.
  • Would rather enjoy the free food, and not help get the free food.
  • You may get banned from a Chinese grocery store (sadly this is true. Most people get banned from pubs, I get banned from grocery stores. Long story :P)
Reasons to join
  • You learn heaps. I learnt how to use Photoshop and create fb events because I was a technical noob when I joined the comm
  • Uni experience. Would you regret it if you left uni having done nothing else except studying and getting good grades?
  • You can justify the amount of time you spend on facebook stalking people by saying that it’s for ‘work’
  • You make closer friends. Nothing brings you closer than sharing a packet of Oreos and a peanut butter spoon on a weekend retreat.
  • Did I mention comm retreat? :P


Being on the committee has been crazy, busy, rewarding, wild and totally worth it. I've made 9 awesome friends, and I know I'll leave Uni with experiences that you'll never get in any other club. So I hope all of you think long and hard about whether you want to be part of the comm - and not deny yourself all the fun that you could be having in the next year.

Happy discerning :)

<3 flo


AGM is happening on 13 May 2011

No comments:

Popular Posts

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *