Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Felicia - Social Activities

My position as the Social Activities Coordinator has been a very rewarding experience and will become a memorable part of my life. One of the reasons why I wanted to be in the committee was because I wanted to contribute more to COSDU, experience new things that I have never done before and get to know more about the people in COSDU.


A few weeks before last year’s AGM, I was very interested in taking the SAC position but always had doubts because I know that in taking the SAC position it would involve public speaking and confidence, which I know is one of my weaknesses. And even during the AGM, I was still unsure! But then I thought again, if I really want to experience new things, this is what I should take as the first step! And I believe that whatever challenges that I will face, I will eventually get through it with the help of God because He would give me the strength to face them and wouldn’t give me anything that I won’t be able to do!

So, my responsibility as a SAC is to organise:
  • weekly Friday dinner
  • annual Scavenger Hunt
  • annual Sports Day
  • Welcome Food and Games for each semester



For the weekly dinner, there’s a positive and negative side to it!
+ as the SAC, you have the freedom to choose restaurants that you feel like eating: P (and also that the members may like, considering that the size of the restaurant is big enough to take around 30 people, the price is reasonable and that the location is not too far)
- because it is on Friday nights, it’s harder to find a restaurant that would take bookings with a large number of people. But as long as it is planned a few weeks in advance, it should be fine.

For COSDU’s two big social events, Sports Day and Scavenger Hunt, it takes longer to organise. For the Sports Day, you will need to choose a number of sport activities/ games, prepare the equipment and location. Whereas for Scavenger Hunt, you will need to do some research and find out places around Melbourne. These two events will allow you to work closely with the different members in the committee such as for grants, food and if you need more help with the activities.


In addition to the activities above, as a SAC, you can choose to do any other social activities that you think the members may enjoy. Some of the social activities that I have organised are the day trips to Royal Melbourne Show, Mt. Dandenong, Saturday weekly jogging and movie night! But really, you are free to choose any social activities and as many as you want!

The wonderful experience that I’ve had in the committee has helped me to become closer to God, believing that He will always be there for us, nine awesome and very supportive friends, a chance to create conversations with the members that I probably would have not otherwise and taught so many new things! Despite of the challenges faced & time that needs to be put in, being in the committee is definitely something that I have not regret in doing and will miss.


So, if you are interested in running for the SAC position and believe that it is something you will enjoy, I say just go for it! See you at AGM!



AGM is happening on 13 May 2011

No comments:

Popular Posts

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *