Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Theo - Treasurer

Treasurer – the title is pretty much self explanatory. But if you really need me to spell the As and the Bs, treasurer job is basically dealing with the club’s MONEY (obviously) which involves:

1. Keeping track of the club’s balance sheet and profit & loss statement

No, don't worry if you are not from commerce, because it is basic math, two columns: plus (money in) and minus (money out), and there’s always Microsoft Excel to make life much easier. And IF you happen to be from commerce and you want to apply what have you learnt in Accounting using accounting materials such as “debit/credit”, “accrued expense”, “time interest/acid test ratio”, “capital gain tax”, please don't, it will only confuse people. Go do your past year paper instead.

2. Alias with UMSU and MUOSS (because we need their fund – yes, your $5 membership fee alone is not enough to sustain the club)

This is, to be honest, is the only downside (boring part) of being a treasurer. I’m not going to try to sell this position by sugar-coating it: this is the part where treasurer has to deal with paperwork (LOTS of paperwork), meetingS and treasurer trainingS. And have I mentioned the paperwork? But, come on, this is nothing!

3. I wish there are more so that my job does not sound that slack, but yeah, that’s basically it

But, of course, being a treasurer is not always about money. My friend once said: “Money is not everything, money is maney-thing!” And indeed dealing with money involves many (sensitive) things. For one, you have to be trustworthy and responsible. You also have to be diligent in keeping track and updating the cash flow: u missed one and u probably had lots of trouble trying to figure out where that $1.95 went to. Funny thing was that I was not any of those above. Many times I stood outside JB Hi-Fi or Apple Store contemplating. But in life, sometimes, as what Albert Einstein once said: there is a force more powerful than steam, electricity and atomic energy: WILL. That’s all you need: a willingness to serve the club. And along with God’s grace and guidance, I am sure anyone can become an awesome treasurer.

Treasurer is indeed a very diverse role that allows you to be involved in every activities (yes, you need fund in every activities). It also allows creativity and certain level of power and flexibility in terms how you want to organize the club’s money portfolio. Just make sure you don’t make the club goes bankrupt xP. And being in a committee as a treasurer does not mean your job is just money, but you have to do all other stuff too! I have to support other committees as how they have supported me!

Being in the committee has been tiring, stressful, crazy, time-consuming, irritating, and I love every second of it. I learnt a lot about Jesus and I believe I have grown into a better person and a better Catholic. I’ve made 9 awesome friends that seemed to last forever. I’ve been given reason to make new friends and add them on Facebook. The experiences and the benefit of being in a committee totally outweigh the opportunity cost of doing the paperwork. The only thing I would regret is that it has to end.


So yeah, think about it. Approach any of the committee. Pray. Discern. Take the first step. Facebook me. Come to AGM =D

xoxo

Theo




AGM is happening on 13 May 2011

No comments:

Popular Posts

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *