Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Alphonsus - Music


I will begin by writing that the music coordinator’s job is probably the most tiring position ever in the committee, because I do not hide from the truth and reality. You hardly get a break from any COSDU sessions because you need to organise Praise and Worship every week. During COSDU monthly mass, you have to assist in planning the music for liturgy. In addition, you have to manage and organise a team of musicians to keep the music going week after week, carrying instruments around, organising practices, setting up the instruments and the list goes on and on. You will feel burn out and underappreciated at times and all the other negative feelings...



Being put off by the laborious job of a music coordinator, huh? I guess I will just add The Parable of the Three Servants (or the Parable of the Talents) from Matthew 25: 14-30 for your reflection and discernment.


“The kingdom of heaven is like this. it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them. 15 To one he gave five bags of gold, to another two bags, and to another one bag,[a] each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. 16 The man who had received five bags of gold went at once and put his money to work and gained five bags more. 17 So also, the one with two bags of gold gained two more. 18 But the man who had received one bag went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money.



19 “After a long time the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them. 20 The man who had received five bags of gold brought the other five. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘you entrusted me with five bags of gold. See, I have gained five more.’



21 “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’

22 “The man with two bags of gold also came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘you entrusted me with two bags of gold; see, I have gained two more.’

23 “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’

24 “Then the man who had received one bag of gold came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 25 So I was afraid and went out and hid your gold in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.’

26 “His master replied, ‘You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed? 27 Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.

28 “‘So take the bag of gold from him and give it to the one who has ten bags. 29 For whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them. 30 And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ “


I guess the point I want to make here is not about the tiring and laborious work you have to put in, but the fruits that you bear and the rewards that come after. During my time as a music coordinator, I have grown from strength to strength, finding myself achieving something which I never have thought I could have done, for e.g. Running and organising the Sacred Music Appreciation Night (the FIRST ever music concert organised by any music coordinator, XD. Remember, all things are possible with the grace of God and awesome team members. =)

I will not say what qualities should a music coordinator have but I would like to add that: Music is a gift. So if you are faithful in using your talents in music, God will surely reward you and develop your talents further, no matter how small the gift of music you think you have, because by taking the first step (inspired by the Easter Camp 2011 Theme) in running for the position of Music coordinator, God is already developing your gift in music. =)


So.. Would you share your gift to others?



AGM is happening on 13 May 2011

No comments:

Popular Posts

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *