Monday, April 28, 2008

Treasurer Portfolio 2007-2008



“Show me the money!” Jerry Maguire. =)

3rd May 2007, was the day my life changed, I was elected as the treasurer of COSDU. When the returning officer announced that I had actually won the elections as treasurer, I felt a sudden rush of excitement and joy to think that the members of COSDU actually voted for me and entrusted me with this position really made me happy.
Honestly I was actually very scared and nervous before AGM, I was scared of losing, but I thought to myself, I shouldn’t be scared of losing because I am running to serve god and not just running for myself and if I end up losing, it doesn’t mean I am not worthy but it will just mean that it was not the time to run. However what gave me the confidence and courage to still run was a calling from god and my love for COSDU that really kept me focused. I really just wanted to serve and be a part of COSDU to help it be successful, to help it grow and mature in faith and bring everybody together.

Before taking up this role, I have to admit that I was quite scared, as I didn’t have an accounting background and I was going to deal with money!!!!! MONEY!!! That’s an exciting yet scary word.

The only accounting background I had is back in high school with a subject called “kemahiran hidup”. A direct translation in English would be “life knowledge” subject.

However, throughout my high school years, I always had an interest in accounting and with my passion for helping the less fortunate, I just wanted to challenge myself and take up the position to help COSDU in making more money =) and of course to raise funds to help the less fortunate and the church.

So comes the question:

WHAT DOES A TREASURER DO?
· The treasurer is ultimately responsible for ensuring the finances of the club are well organized and managed effectively through a specific bank account.

Managing Income
· Invoicing and collecting receipts and all money owed to the club
· Ensuring that all cash and cheques are deposited promptly in the bank
· Issuing receipts for all money received and recording this information

Managing expenditure
· Paying bills and recording information

WHAT QUALITIES ARE NEEDED?

A treasurer should have:
· Adequate time to perform their role
· Enthusiasm
· Good organizational skills
· Good communication skills
· Honesty and Integrity
· An ability to keep records
· An ability to handle money and cheques carefully
· A good eye for detail
· Confidence with numbers

Besides that, a treasurer also has to deal with UMSU on the grants, set the budget for events, attend UMSU/ MUOSS meetings and also organize fundraising activities for COSDU.

Being a treasurer and being a part of COSDU during this past year have really taught me to grow and mature as a person. It has also taught me to work in a team as well as to lead. I must say we did have our ups and downs but it was all worthwhile. Being a part of the COSDU committee has really been very enjoyable and fulfilling and it has been a great pleasure working with each and everyone. Honestly, life without COSDU would really be dull as it is my family away from home.

To those thinking of running for a committee position, remember to run because you want to serve GOD. It is not just about doing your own job, but it is about helping each other and supporting them in accordance to your capability. Therefore, whichever role you choose doesn’t really matter because everybody is in this together and your main focus is to grow in faith and help COSDU grow.

During my term as treasurer, I achieved my goal by organizing the “movie ticket” fundraising, to be able to give back to the society. I must say that there are many other things I would like to do as a treasurer but failed to do so. I would therefore like to challenge the next treasurer to do greater things not just so the group can afford to spend on materialistic things but to actually give back to the church and society. Life doesn’t revolve around us and it definitely isn’t just about money either. Life is about Love and when we love one another that is when we can truly call ourselves followers of Jesus.


God bless
Jess… =))

No comments:

Popular Posts

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *