Monday, April 28, 2008

Social Activities Coordinator Portfolio 2007-2008



One year has gone past, but a year wiser nevertheless. In May 2007, I was given the chance by the COSDU members to act as the Social Activities Coordinator and it was one wild roller coaster ride. Fast, scary, but fun. During my term, I learnt to have a balance between being a student as well as a committed committee member. Why, you might ask would I want to put more pressure on myself? Isn’t studying hard enough? Paradoxically, the answer is yes and no. Yes, studying is hard, and no, it will never be hard enough to stop me from serving COSDU who has done so much to enrich my life.

As for my experience as a maturing person, I learnt a few things although not everything was rosy and sweet. The one thing that I found out about being a committee member is that you have to be much more sensitive to how others feel and what you may do with good intention might not be perceived that way. I would not trade that whole experience for anything and neither should you. Learning to be sensitive to other’s feelings, having your eyes opened to things that you previously took for granted, and in the mean time growing together as an individual and as a team doesn’t sound too bad, does it?

COSDU has given me bonds of friendship that I will treasure forever and most importantly, growing as Christians together. Me being a Methodist, I gained an insight on the Catholic theology and was never pressured nor threatened by the wonderful COSDU members. Personally, I grew spiritually, reaffirming my faith and breaking down pre-conceived ideas about the Catholic faith and other religions in general. So the question is not why would you want to serve COSDU, but why wouldn’t you?

As the Social Activities Coordinator (SAC) implies, one of your main tasks are to organize major events such as Sports Day, Scavenger Hunt and the weekly dinner avenue. On top of that, you will be helping on other major events like Night Market and Festival of Nations. Committee meetings will be held occasionally and you (or any other committee member in fact) will be expected to attend it. Why? It’s because COSDU’s future are in your and your committee’s hands. With great powers come great responsibilities. Abusing your powers or neglecting your responsibilities is not a very good way of showing your appreciation to COSDU.

Of all the challenges I faced, its funny that I found the booking of the weekly dinner avenue the most challenging. I was constantly stressed when I booked a restaurant and people say it’s too far. When it’s closer by, they say it doesn’t taste good or why we’re going there again; all that with a constant voice at the back of my head urging me to keep on challenging the members’ taste buds. Besides that, organizing events was just pure fun except from the fact I couldn’t participate in them…sigh. The highlight for me was Sports Day which I helped organized. There were logistics like where the event would be held, food and drinks, medical kits, official forms to fill up and last but not least, team member distribution. Thinking up games was also a challenge. There was a debate whether to introduce a complete set of new games or stick to the used but popular ones. In the end, there was a mixture of old and new and it turned out alright with some help from other members.

The only one thing I regret not accomplishing in my term as SAC is not being able to bring the COSDU members for a bushwalk, even if it’s just a day trip. I had a hard time finding a walk that was short enough or cheap enough in terms of transportation. In that, I regret not being able to bring COSDU as a family, experiencing together the beautiful exquisite delights that God has created and still creating. With that, I would like to challenge the next SAC to bring my dreams to reality by realizing it in your term to come.

The whole organizing and planning experience was extremely rewarding with a sense of achievement. For all who are interested in running for SAC, remember, becoming a committee member means one is to serve the COSDU community for the better good and not for one’s own self interest. For Jesus once said, one will be a leader when one serves the people and the Lord. Come serve the Lord. Come serve COSDU.

No comments:

Popular Posts

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *