Monday, April 28, 2008

President Portfolio 2007-2008

So you wanna know what does the role of the President entail?

It was indeed a blessing in disguise that I was COSDU’s Liturgy Coordinator 2 yrs back. Throughout my term then, I was able to watch and see how my President carried out her duties and the responsibilities she had to bare.

Over the year as President, there were many times I could just look up and thank God for all the blessings He had showered on to this small church called COSDU. There were also times when I just wondered, why I agreed to put myself as a target in a shooting range. Let me assure you, the positive outcomes out weighed the negative.

The role of a president is not at all how it is perceived as - Trump in Apprentice. It is a role that requires serious commitments, honesty and discipline. When I was elected into office, I must say that I was not prepared with those attributes but I had two other things that I guess carried me through - Faith and Hope. Being in 4th Yr of Architecture (just two weeks before taking up the position, I was given a warning by the Ass.Dean that I was gonna fail a subject), doing part time barista work and doing a host of volunteer work, it looked like I was mad to take up the post. I did not dare tell my parents. Today, I am in 5th Yr of Archi (I passed everything in 4th Yr), doing a heavier part time work, more volunteer work and all seems well. My point in telling you this is to assure you that with dedication and will power, you can take up this role besides having a heavy schedule. If there is a will, there is a way.

I normally don’t see a reason in telling people what I do because I strongly feel in serving God, we should do things willingly, it is the opposite in the office, where you have to hype things up with the hope of getting an increment. My only reason in highlighting my contribution to COSDU is so that it roughly gives you an idea of what is expected of a president. Firstly, I told my committee, that 5 hours of my time every week is dedicated to COSDU, this is excluding the Friday meet ups. Most of the time, 5 hours was too much. I also prepared and chaired monthly Comm Meetings, kept in touch with comm members to check on their well-being, speaking to many people of different standings in church and also in uni to promote the existence of COSDU, being Group Leader for COSDU-WYD, organizing transport for WYD.

Let me assure you that I am in no way claiming that I am perfect or anywhere near it. The support of a united committee made things much easier.

As I write this, I am reminded of the Gospel on Monday (John 10:11-18) after Good Shepherd Sunday where we are reminded to keep an eye on our friends. You do not need to be President to carry out what the Gospel challenges us to do but with this role, you will be able to reach out to more people and you will also be able to set the path for the other members to reach out. This is something that COSDU has been doing for 21 years and I strongly feel it is time that COSDU should come out of its comfort zone and reach out to the wider mass.

Have you actually prayed about God’s calling for you with regards to COSDU?
Are you afraid of the commitment?

Please find below the Gospel reading meant for Wednesday of the 5th Week of Easter.

Jesus said to his disciples:
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine grower.
He takes away every branch in me that does not bear fruit,
and everyone that does he prunes so that it bears more fruit.
You are already pruned because of the word that I spoke to you.
Remain in me, as I remain in you.
Just as a branch cannot bear fruit on its own
unless it remains on the vine,
so neither can you unless you remain in me.
I am the vine, you are the branches.
Whoever remains in me and I in him will bear much fruit,
because without me you can do nothing.
Anyone who does not remain in me
will be thrown out like a branch and wither;
people will gather them and throw them into a fire
and they will be burned.
If you remain in me and my words remain in you,
ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you.
By this is my Father glorified,
that you bear much fruit and become my disciples.”

Be not afraid to answer God’s calling for you as He clearly states the He will be there for you as long as you remain with Him. Just as the branch bears fruit, it still gets pruned so that there will be a bigger outcome.

May I encourage you to pray and ask God to show you the way, and by His grace you will find comfort in whatever path He leads you to. Should you have any queries, please feel free to contact me and we can chat this over.

Kind regards,
Ramesh

No comments:

Popular Posts

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *