Monday, April 28, 2008

Publicity Coordinator Portfolio 2007-2008



Synthesis of Publicita Coordinata
Background
More than a year ago, I joined COSDU, and after Easter Camp, COSDU was becoming more homely and warm day by day, and I wanted to serve God by serving COSDU. So I decided to run for the position of Treasurer at AGM. No other positions really appealed to me, and so I never considered any other alternatives. Until AGM that day. One way or another, I found myself with the position of Publicity Coordinator.

Aims
The aim of this role is to publicise COSDU and to publicise God, to members within and people out of COSDU. It is making known to others about COSDU as a platform towards love, friendship and support. The objectives include increasing the number of COSDUans, making the newbies feel welcomed, informing on COSDU events, and encouraging people to go for it. Publicising God entails all these plus the effort to make and maintain friendships with all indiscriminately.

Method
1) Send emails that are informative, attention seeking, yet concise. Emails must be punctual to allow time for members to plan ahead. Emails must always be in a positive tone and bring a positive message. cosdu.melbuni@gmail.com

2) Maintain the blog. Information on the blog includes our history, our session programmes, links, pictures, current updates on events and sessions, and write ups on our activities. Blog audience includes those who cannot be bothered to check my emails, those whose emails are lost in their inbox, those not on our mailing list, or those who do not remember details from emails but do so from the blog. The blog should be informative, attention seeking, and can be long winded. http://cosdu.blogspot.com/

3) Work closely with the Socialia Activita Coordinata, on the major events such as Scavenger Hunt and Sports Day, especially regarding getting sufficient numbers. This is where Publicity kicks in.

4) Orientation. Getting numbers for COSDU in general. Setting up the booth and getting as many current members to help and participate in expanding our gang.

5) Exam Prayer Calendar. Once the exam timetable is out (this week..), everyone's exam dates should be collected and tabulated into a calendar so that we can all pray for each other.

6) The Committeeed Member. Being a member of the comm, regardless of post, race and religion, means that we should work closely with each other, support each other out of our own portfolios, and strive for greater bonding, fellowship, unity and faith to make things happen.

Results and Discussion
Fulfilment in achieving the aims I set myself out with, which includes getting sufficient numbers for this sem. Seeing the vibrancy of our current members make me feel happy and youthful (but elderly in comparison..) and full of hope for COSDU's future. I am really glad to have had the chance to be in this committee. Working for COSDU with them gave me closer friendships and a greater attachment to this family than I ever imagined. We've not only have had fun but lots of ups and downs as well, which makes it all the more memorable and to be cherished.

From the start I've thought myself as shy and not sociable (but now that I'm writing this that statement can hardly be convincing), so taking on the role of the Public Relations Officer of the COSDU corporation seemed daunting. The first thing I did was to define what Publicity Coord meant, and that is clearly stated in the Aims. My first step involved overcoming fears to type emails (which is equivalent to electronic mass speaking) and writing blog posts to a seemingly wide audience, and to be confident in doing so in my own style. I had to learn the ropes of how gmail works, the intricacies of our current blog layout, the convenience of flickr and its slide shows. I learnt that uploading and desizing hobart's pictures takes a lot of time, but are worth the effort in every while when you see them speaking thousands of words. I've had to learn punctuality in sending out emails in time, posting on the blog asap, and in arriving for comm meetings and COSDU events. I learn that orgainizing events and liasing with people are nothing to frightened of; that reaching out and talking to people and creating conversations come with practice and a genuine self to want to know a person who is in God's image. These are some of the few challenges that I faced.

Conclusion
My point being, don't be afraid of running for any position. You may not feel you have any of the characteristics required for a certain position, but as long as you are serious about doing your best, are open to learning the ropes, and have the time and discipline to commit to this job, synthesis of Publicita Coordinata should yield a high percentage. And don't forget that you should always communicate and run to your comm for help, just as they can when they need you. On a side note, just make sure your president finds his own PA from outside the comm.

No comments:

Popular Posts

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *