Monday, May 03, 2010

Secretary: Sara Kang


Hey you!

Yes, you who are reading this. If you have managed to get this far, there has to be a reason for it for all of this was pre-written in God’s plan for your life. Now, to the real substantial part J

So, people often ask, WHY be the secretary? In all honesty, I had my doubts if I was good enough in the beginning. And I won’t lie and say that taking up this position has been the easiest part in my life here in Melbourne. But as you all know, for all the stress that comes with the position, a million other good, fond memories come with it. And then, you realize it was worth every one of those stressful moments.

I came to Melbourne in 2009, fresh, eager for the new challenges God so lovingly planned for me in this foreign land. I knew I would want to make my time here in Melbourne worth it. So, being the eager person that I am, I joined a million and one clubs in uni (Yes, I exaggerate). Dance, social work, music groups, volunteering, you name it, I’ve probably put my name on their mailing list at least. Being an international student away from home, you truly need to fill your time so as to not miss the things back home. Hence, I decided to join a youth group. In all honesty, I was never the social butterfly in youth groups back in Malaysia. But somehow or rather, God showed me the way to COSDU. I still remember that warm greeting I received from the people at the Orientation booth. At that moment, I knew this club was different. Which shows why this is the only club I am currently involved in till this day.

You see, COSDU has given me so much. The things I have learned from the people in COSDU are really inexhaustible. I never knew there was so much to learn and I have tried my best to learn everything. I am a strong believer that everything happens for a reason and I cannot count my blessings enough that God brought me to this wonderful club.

It was that day in May 2009 that I felt this strong urge to run for the secretary post. And amidst all the doubts, I knew I made the right choice. And I never looked back. Because of what COSDU has given me, I knew, with whatever little I could offer, I would try to make a contribution. If this is the only way I can show my thanks to our awesome God, so be it. And here I am one year later. Never been more contented with how my life has turned out and I shall be forever grateful.

Being a secretary has not always been easy. But I believe that no matter how tough life gets, you toughen your faith. It was always my personal goal to stand by my committee. To be the supporting shoulder for anyone in need. There’s so much more I can offer than my pen and paper. Being a secretary is not all about paper work. It is not all about filling in forms. Trust me. You have to attend meetings too! J But yes, one of the main things in the secretary’s job is to liaise with the student body and other affiliated groups. Keeping track of membership lists, applying for grants, making announcements during sessions, these things come naturally after the 1st time. So seriously, it’s not as daunting as you may think it is. I’ve learned what goes on behind the scenes when I need to liaise with UMSU or MUOSS. Who knows, the knowledge you gain will come in handy. And we all know knowledge is the key. So aside from the weekly announcements, the only main things I need to do is make sure the membership lists are updated, write the minutes for the monthly committee meetings, attend UMSU or MUOSS meetings if needed and that’s about it. I’ll tell you a little secret. Secretaries secretly rule the world J

Being in this committee has made my time in Melbourne all the more special. COSDU has given me something to look forward to after the long week of stressful assignments and lectures. The friendships I have made with the committee and the members are something to cherish for a lifetime. God works in such wonderful ways. I have grown so much in the past year. Making new friends is just one of those wonderful moments in life. Making a difference in someone’s life is another.

So, if you are thinking of running for this position, do not worry about all those nagging thoughts on the extra paper work and what not. You’ll learn that there really is not much to it. The only advice I can give you is to give your whole heart to the position and to God. Make sure you are doing it for the right reasons and not just to gain those extra credits. God deserves so much more than that. I was determined to prove that being a secretary is not all about paper work. And I believe I have proven my point. So, just trust in the Lord. And believe in yourself. After all, the will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you.

See you guys at AGM 2010!

With love,

Sara

No comments:

Popular Posts

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *