Monday, May 03, 2010

Music Coordinator: Jonathan Au


To me, music is an integral part of COSDU. It is a form of worship which some choose to express themselves, and discover the messages of God anew within the lyrics. Music also unites the people in prayer, and helps them to focus their minds – to tune out the hectic lifestyle that dominates so many of us university students. Music is also extremely fun, and anyone who went to Easter Camp (or saw the videos later) can probably attest to that! It is a strange thing, music. It can be delicate yet imposing, soothing yet soul-shaking, your friend and your teacher at the same time, but never insignificant. And as the music coordinator, you are given the task to unleash this wild and wonderful gift of God into the midst of the COSDUans.

If you’re here reading the testimonials, you’re probably interested in the position of music coordinator, so I’ll get straight to the point. Generally, your duties as music minister, as written in the constitution are:

1. To arrange music for the sessions and the masses.

2. To coordinate the music practices for the said sessions and masses

3. To oversee the storage and upkeep of all musical instruments.

Now, this position can be as challenging as you want it to be. My predecessor was largely responsible for the regular praise and worship sessions that you see every week, and I have carried on that tradition – it is something that I like very much and I hope to see perpetuated in COSDU. If you decide to have praise and worship every week, you will have to arrange music practices every week, and of course there is the session on Friday. You may also be called to arrange music for the various activities that occur outside COSDU, examples of which would include Ecumenical Week, Little Sisters of the Poor visits, retreats and so forth.

Knowledge of Christian music would be helpful. Indeed I found it indispensable. However, if you aren’t familiar with much Christian music and are interested in the job, I have one piece of advice for you – go and find out as many titles as you can and go and Youtube the whole lot. That way you will be more prepared and you will be able to choose a good song for any occasion. And it isn’t just about Hillsongs or the modern contemporary music – as Catholics, we are blessed with the amalgamation of both the hymns of old and the guitar-rocking lyrics of today, and I really would recommend that you get a feel of both. But if you’re not, don’t worry. When I took the job, I was not very well-versed in traditional music and such, but I have grown since then (or so I would like to think. Choosing the music for a particular occasion is also a challenge. You have to find music that suits the mood, the topic, the music team and most importantly, the people, and again, this is a gift that will grow with time and experience.

One thing I must say, which most of you know, but must be said nevertheless: You are not, and never will be the focus of attention. This is not a post where you become some kind of rock star and everyone is screaming, crying and clapping for you. The music team are not the only performers – the people are too, and together, we’re all putting on a performance that will delight the heart of God. I struggle sometimes with remembering that God gave me and all the music team members the gift of music, and that without Him, I would be nothing. This is a challenge you must face daily as music coordinator – to know that as a musician and performer, the glory is not yours, but the Father’s.

My biggest trials as a music coordinator? I think it would be the times when I got very jaded with all the music. After week after week of looking at lyrics about how much we love Jesus, you tend to take it all for granted, and those words lose their meaning. And being able to juggle studying, practices and sessions takes a bit of time management.

But having said that, the satisfaction you get from the job is enormous. The feeling you get when you deliver a great session is unbelievable. And to have people come up to you and say that God spoke through them to the music you and the music team made is truly a humbling experience.

Music is awesome. Being music coordinator is awesome. I will pray for you, dear reader, that God will inspire you the way he has inspired me and everyone who has taken up this position before me, to take up this unique position. God bless.

No comments:

Popular Posts

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *