Sunday, May 11, 2014

Music Coordinator: Annie Lin



Being a Music Coordinator, you are responsible for:
1.   Coordination of Praise & Worship for every Friday session------this includes finding the worship leader and the musicians, organising the time and place for practice, setting up before the Praise & Worship……basically just make sure Praise & Worship runs smoothly.
2.   Preparation of music for masses------this includes finding songs for masses and making sure someone is playing the music……basically just make sure the music for masses runs smoothly.
3.   Taking care of the instruments------we have many instruments: a keyboard, cajon, stands and amplifier. As a Music Coordinator, you are responsible for maintaining good condition of all the instruments.
4.   Other music events------apart from the usual Praise & Worship and Masses, sometimes you also have to organise other events where music is needed, such as Tertiary Mass (This year we did that alongside the All Saints Youth Choir), sometimes the events are not scheduled so be prepared!
5.   Ok, I am not writing this to scare you; certainly, music is one of the most demanding job, but also------very rewarding.
Here I want to do a bit sharing of how I found of being the music person for the year. To be honest, I didn’t even know why people chose me to be their music person. At the beginning I always had a thought of ‘why me?’ In COSDU there are so many talented people, capable of playing various instruments, having a broad knowledge of Christian songs, know how to choose songs in various situations------and I was none of them.

‘But that’s how you learn!’ the music person before me said, "that’s how I started------from zero". It was not as scary as I thought, one of the most wonderful things of being part of COSDU is the people here always help! So I started little by little, with the help of the wonderful musicians and our committee (thank you guys so much!), learned how to be the music person. I'm really thankful for the experience, although sometimes I might not do a good job and I still have problems choosing mass songs after one year, but I taste the beauty of how powerful music can be and working with the musicians is really fun!

"When you sing, you pray twice." For me, music says a thousand words, to God, and to the people around, there are so many things, so many thanks and love that can be only expressed by music. Being the Music Coordinator is not how much you know for the music and stuffs or how good you can play the instruments, it’s how much you want to bring people together to praise God and express love through music.

God Bless,
Annie

No comments:

Popular Posts

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *