Monday, April 06, 2009

President - Amanda Johan


I am thankful to be given the opportunity to be COSDU president. There are so many things that I have learnt from this experience, let me share with you some of those things.

As the president, I have learnt to be patient and considerate. As a person, I tend to want to fix any problem as quickly as possible and often tend to neglect others’ feelings. This journey has made me realise that getting the easy way out from a problem does not really solve the underlying issue. I need to be a good listener and be open to all the different point of views. Not everyone will have the same view as me and I will never be able to change their mind as we are all individuals who are entitled to our own voice and opinion. Things can get heated and tension starts to build. This makes me realise that I am only human and God is teaching me a very valuable lesson. I believe that He will never give me a test that we can’t handle together. As human, we can only make plans and He will lead the way. I have learnt to have faith in Him.

I often forget the fact that I am in COSDU committee to serve God. I will start relying on my human strength and instinct. Fortunately, God is forgiving; He has not forsaken me even though I have neglected Him. I learn to seek for mercy and forgiveness, to be humble and to accept my weaknesses.

There must also be a balance between the spiritual as well as the official duties of a President. Below is a short list of these official duties:

    1. Oversees and ensures the overall smooth running of COSDU
    2. Takes care of each ministry of COSDU and takes care of every committee member
    3. Supervises and delegates tasks to committee members
    4. Chairs committee meetings
    5. Organizes Committee Retreat at the start of each semester
    6. Seeks the spiritual guidance and liaises with the Chaplains on a regular basis

I am not perfect as a person as well as a leader. I am still learning and will continue learning even after the end of my term. I was certainly not prepared at the beginning and never knew that there is so much to learn and comprehend as a President. Hence, I urge anyone who has the desire or still considering being the next President to give it a try. You don’t have to be an experience person. What you need is the passion and love for God and COSDU; and be committed to your term. You also need to realise the responsibilities that comes with the post and to persevere when things get tough. Remember, you are not alone as the President. You will have nine other committee members who will support and help you throughout your term. Do not be afraid as this will be a fulfilling journey for you. Trust me, you will not regret it. Thus, pray about it and let God speak to you. Everyone is welcomed to talk to me, even if it is not for the President role; you are still welcomed to approach me.

Every single moment as COSDU President is a blessing to me. The good times makes me happy and the bad keeps me stronger. I really enjoy the journey and will definitely treasure the friendship and the memories I made along the way. I thank God for giving me this opportunity and I thank the members for having faith in me to lead COSDU. To my committee, I thank you for all your support.

Love

Amanda



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's amazing that another (office) year's gone by so quickly. congrats to the outgoing comm for pulling COSDU together in ways unique to your team. thank you as well for the various opportunities to be involved in COSDU - they've been invaluable.

i hope that your actions have encouraged those thinking of running to do so and keep the spirit alive in and out of campus. As always, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

csw

Popular Posts

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *