Monday, April 06, 2009

Social Justice Coordinator - Anastasia Agusto


The first time I heard about the term ‘Social Justice’ was when I first came to Melbourne in 2007. It was when we were introduced to our then social justice coordinator, Celine Yong. Naturally, I didn’t know what that was at first. However, after attending sessions after sessions impregnated with her diligent updates on social justice issues, prayers offered during the rosary month as well as the social justice sessions conducted by her, I think I finally understand what it means now. To me, ‘social’ involves people, justice is justice. Therefore, I see it as helping people who need help fighting for their own ‘justice’, regardless of what their ‘justice’ means: their self worth, their survival, companionship, shelter, anything! They are the poor, the lame, the lonely, the rejected, the hated, wounded etc. In short, the special people who simply want to be LOVED.

We, ourselves need love too albeit in varying aspects. Thus I believe we are able to empathize with those in need and provide help accordingly. All it takes is a little bit of effort to put ourselves in someone else’s shoes and think: ‘What if I’m put in the same situation?What would I feel? What would I need?’.

What I am trying to get as is, ANYONE can be a social justice coordinator, don’t ya’ think?

What can you do as a social justice coordinator?
- Whatever you can! Some of them:
- Organize weekly volunteering sessions to whichever institution you deem plausible (in terms of distance, time, tasks, etc)
- Social Justice Session once or twice per semester. These will usually be on Fridays. Last semester’s session was: Can War Be Just? You can call a speaker down for these sessions, or you can conduct them yourselves. You can even play a video and do a small reflection on it, followed by perhaps some group discussions. Knock yourself out, really!
- This one will henceforth, as decided by the 08/09 committee, be an annual COSDU event: An actual Social Justice Session involving hands-on experience on serving the community. This is on a Saturday. It will have to be an outing with the COSDUANS to whichever institution chosen and do community service as a group. The first one is coming soon (May 16th), so keep an eye out for your email and keep that day free. It’ll be a great experience, I promise! ;D
- Update COSDU’s board from time to time about social justice issues or simply just email the COSDUANS about these issues. Any relevant seminars that people can attend can also be included in these emails.
- If you want, you can also prepare some social justice related prayers for ‘Prayers of the Faithful’ in COSDU’s monthly mass. This will help take 2 prayers’ load off your fellow committee member, ie: the Liturgy Coordinator.
- If your committee decides on saying the rosary before each Friday session during the month of rosary, you can prepare some prayers to be dedicated each decade.
- Of course, you are to help, when possible, other committee members with their task.
- One of the must do thing for this post is: HAVE FUN WHILE CARRYING OUT YOUR RESPONSIBLITIES.

There are other things that you can do too. They’re just too many to list down.

If you are interested in becoming the next Social Justice Coordinator and have questions to ask me, don’t be shy, just email me or ask me when you see me. DO NOT be afraid of not knowing what to do. I have a HUGE file here that has a lot of information on what can be done, who to contact, plausible institutions to go to, what magazines to buy, to read, what news websites to browse for social justice issues etc. It is very helpful. I am happy to answer your questions even after you’ve assumed this position. I will also help whenever possible. Just ask, okay?



Looking forward to you succeeding my post!
Have a little faith on yourself :)Anyone who loves can take this on :)

Many happiness,
Anastasia Agusto



No comments:

Popular Posts

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *