Saturday, August 23, 2008

Donna's World Youth Day 2008 Reflection

Photobucket


Photobucket


DID08, which i enjoyed immensely,was a great opening act to the main event that is World Youth Day 2008 in Sydney. I can only attempt to share how wyd 08 has impacted me without being long-winded for I certainly do not wish to summarize such monumental event inadequately.

To cater to the youths, concerts, talks, exhibitions amongst others were happening throughout the afternoon and into the night. Of the many concerts, the "Receive the Power Live!" concert left the deepest impression on me. It featured the popular Hillsong United, Darlene Zchech & the Matt Maher Band; great musicians whose music got all those around me jumping and dancing in joy and praise. The night was made extra special by the unique adoration experience. Another concert that I remember fondly is the one by Fr Stan Fortuna, at the Sydney Opera House. Although I dont have a personal liking for rap or hip hop music, I bopped along to the beats, and by the end of the night I found that I was actually enjoying myself.

Moving on to the talks, the one that I simply have to mention is Theology On Tap in Parramatta. Aside from being locked in a mall for the first time in my life, drinking cheap Guinness and meeting a celebrity (I met Peter Harvey and he asked me whether I wanted to take a picture with him) , the topic of the night - Leading a double life will lead to self-destruction- challenged me to grow in my faith by living it daily and proudly.

Besides the youth festival events, pilgrims participated in cathechesis for three mornings. For me, I would say the wisdom of the preachings during cathechesis do not present itself immediately, rather, the words materialize days later, perhaps even weeks, months or years later.

Finally, just the atmosphere of world youth day made the experience such a memorable one, be it the friendly smiles, chit-chat whilst queuing or traveling, chanting in the streets, etc. Sometimes, we ask God for signs and miracles. At wyd, the circadian sunset, the people singing and/or laughing next to us in the train amongst so many other little and great things - each wonderful in their own right-, was His reply.

Looking back at the photos, I reminisce about the joy and spirit of world youth day. Looking forward, I eagerly await WYD 2011 in Madrid. Meanwhile I can only pray that my faith will grow stronger than yesterday but less than tomorrow. "Jesus said, 'Where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in their midst.'", Matthew 18:20. So imagine, what of 200,000 gathered in His name.

No comments:

Popular Posts

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *