Saturday, August 23, 2008

Bernice's World Youth Day 2008 Reflection

When I first heard about WYD, it was the one held in Germany and I thought it sounded really cool. I thought to myself, I wouldn't mind going, I get to meet lots of people and get to see new places but I couldn't go at that time, unfortunately. So, when I heard that WYD 2008 was going to be held in sydney, somewhere so near to me, I was excited and was absolutely sure I wanted to go. But I now realise i wanted to go for the wrong reasons. I wanted to go just for fun. I wasn't really intending on learning more about my faith. It was more about the fun for me as I felt spiritually dry at that time.

However, after having gone to WYD, i felt this energy and this hope that I haven't felt for a very long time. I feel rejuvenated. I not only had so much fun, I learnt so much too. About my faith and about God's love for me. My pilgrimage to the St. Mary's Cathedral was the most memorable for me. I felt that peace that I have not felt in a while. Although the wait was long, I really believe that it was worth it.

Overall, it was an amazing experience, one that I would never trade and I will never regret my decision in going. It was all worth it, the Catechesis session, the youth festivals, masses and also the opportunity to see the pope and be in his presence. And just being there, sharing all these with people all around the world who share the same faith, who although live completely different lives, have that one thing in common that binds them all together. The Catholic faith. And to know that we are not alone in our journey of faith, our journey to God, to know that there are soo many people out there in the world who are also walking with us in this journey, it is just amazing.

I feel that WYD 2008 has helped me grow in a lot of ways, particularly in my spiritual life. And I would definitely go again in three years! See you in Spain! =)

No comments:

Popular Posts

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *